STAMP OUT HUNGER 2011
Food Drive Fact Sheet
On Saturday, May 14, 2011, Campbell Soup Company will team up with the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) to collect food donations in order to provide assistance to the millions of Americans who are struggling with hunger each and every day.
Beyond the Call of Duty...
- The Stamp Out Hunger fooddrive is a nationwide effort that provides food to local food banks and pantries that would otherwise have depleted stocks during the summer months and are experiencing universal increases in demand for emergency food assistance due to the current recession as well as growing unemployment rates.
- The nation’s 230,000 letter carriers will collect food donations left at the mailboxes of generous Americans in more than 10,000 local communities and deliver them to food banks and other hunger relief organizations.
- Now in its 19th year, the Stamp Out Hunger food drive is the nation’s largest single-day food drive, having collected more than one billion pounds of food since its inception in 1993, including a record setting total of 77.1 million pounds in 2010.
- As part of the company’s corporate mission to nourish people's lives everywhere, every day, Campbell Soup Company, a long-time supporter of the Stamp Out Hunger food drive, will kick off this year’s effort by donating one million pounds of food to Feeding America.
The Face of Hunger…
- Despite the generosity of millions of Americans who have supported the letter carriers' food drive in previous years, the need for food assistance has never been greater. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s annual study measuring food security in the United States, the number of Americans living in food insecure homes topped 50 million in 2009, and one in three of these people is a child (17.2 million).
- A recent survey conducted by Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic-hunger-relief organization, found that nearly half (46 percent) of households served reported having to choose between paying a utility bill or purchasing food.
You Can Help...
- Helping Stamp Out Hunger is as easy as checking your mailbox. Just leave a bag of non-perishable food where your letter carrier normally delivers your mail on Saturday, May 14. Your letter carrier will then pick up and deliver the food to a local food bank. Examples of non-perishable items include:
- Canned soup, meats and fish
- Canned vegetables, fruits and juices
- Boxed goods (such as cereal)
- Pasta and rice
- For more information about the annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive, ask your letter carrier, contact your local post office or visit either www.helpstampouthunger.com or www.facebook.com/StampOutHunger, and follow the drive at www.twitter.com/StampOutHunger.
# # #